Introduction to Backpacking (Intensive)
Introduction to Backpacking (Intensive) – Tuesday, March 14 (6:00pm to 9:30pm) at Hiwassee/Ocoee State Park (Gee Creek). 423-263-0050
- $10 / Military Veteran or First Responder
- $15 / General Admission/Participant
Hiwassee/Ocoee Rivers State Park is offering one (3.5 hour intensive course) to prepare you for successful backcountry backpacking. After completion of this intensive course, we will embark on a free overnight backpacking trip within the Cherokee National Forest. The overnight trip will take place on Saturday 4/8/2023 – Sunday 4/9/2023. The trip will be led by seasoned backpacker and 2018 Appalachian Trail Thru-hiker, Ranger Jeremy Sorensen.
The intensive course will cover the following topics:
- Backpacking Basics: An Overview
- The BIG 3 (Shelter, Sleep & Pack Systems)
- How to choose and organize your pack
- Proper clothing, footwear & gear
- Trail Meal Prep
- Food Storage & Bear Bags
- Water Filtration
- Trail Hygiene
- Healthy Parks Heathy Person (Personal Fitness)
- Basic Survival: An Overview
- Trip Planning
- Navigation & Map Reading
On 4/8/2023-4/9/2023, we will conduct an overnight guided trip! This excursion will consist of approximately (9 miles) of moderate hiking total. This is the perfect opportunity to test out your winter/spring gear in backcountry conditions.
Free Overnight Trip Conditions: You will need to be able to provide your own transportation, gear and food for this event.
Can’t wait to see you there, happy trails!