Kyaking 101 with ACA SOLD OUT
Kayaking 101 with ACA – Saturday, May 20 at Hiwassee/Ocoee State Park (10:00am to 4:pm). 423-263-0050
Summer is right around the corner and kayaking is a great way to enjoy Tennessee’s beautiful outdoors! Tennessee State Parks and the certified paddlesports instructors of ACA Tennessee are teaming up to get you started!
As part of National Safe Boating Week, certified ACA Kayak instructors are volunteering their time to offer you a special opportunity to take these classes for just $15. Typically, these same classes would cost between $50 and $100! We are limited to 15 slots per class so sign up now! All types of kayaks are welcome.
If you are new to paddling, looking to meet paddling friends or have had a bad experience and are looking to learn a better way to go about it, sign up now. Please reach out to contact us with any questions.
Below is a short list of the types of things that will be covered in the class:
* Trip planning, preparation, and prevention
* What equipment you should carry
* Parts of the boat, parts of the paddle
* Understanding how bulkheads/floatation help make you safer
* How to properly carry & transport your boat
* Basic posture for full body paddling and boat control
* Basic paddling strokes
* How to get in and out of your boat properly
* Basic river reading skills
* Moving water skills to control your boat and avoid obstacles: edging, how to cross an eddy line to catch an eddy, how to cross an eddy line to go straight, peel out into the current, ferry across a river without moving downstream, S-turn
* Wading across current with a paddle
* Defensive swimming position
* Understanding your options when there is a tree across the river
(strainer bar drill)
What to bring:
* Camp chair
* Life Jacket* (You will be required to wear your life jacket at all times when on the water.)
* Helmet* (Helmet required if you are in a sit inside kayak with skirt or using thigh straps on a Sit on Top
* Kayak; helmet recommended but optional otherwise)
* Plenty of Water to drink
* Sunscreen or hat
* Strap for your glasses
* Lunch and snacks (We will break for lunch but we will all eat together and then resume the class so we all need to bring our lunches.)
What to wear: Keep in mind we will be paddling and practicing skills for what to do if you capsize, so you will get wet. Quick drying fabrics and shorts are better for paddling than cotton clothing…which will just keep you wet and cold all day. Please do not wear flip flops. Closed-toe river shoes or sneakers are perfect. You need shoes that attach at your ankles and provide some amount of traction.
If you need to borrow a kayak, paddle and life jacket, you will have the option to add one to your registration at no extra charge during the registration process. Ocoee Watersports are making this gear available to you at no charge as a special opportunity for this class during National Safe Boating Week. Students at this class will paddle approximately 5 river miles on the beautiful Lower Hiwassee River as part of this class.
Once you register, you’ll receive additional instructions to help you prepare for the day. Please complete the short survey and bring your completed Liability Waiver with you.
Event document: Kayaking 101 Liability Waiver